Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Death, my mother and what I learned

Joachim De Posada

By Joachim De Posada

WebsiteFollow Me on TwitterFollow on Facebook


Death, my mother and what I learned

 

“Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh” George Bernard Shaw

 

This has been a very difficult time for me and my family. My dear mother passed away last week after suffering a stroke. She fought a brave fight, never once complaining about her condition. She was hooked to oxygen, IV’s, all kinds of machines and she didn’t complain once. Her nurses where so impressed with her that one of them came in on Saturday to take care of her on her day off.

 

Yes, my mother was a very brave woman. After the stroke, half her body paralyzed, her mouth tilted to the right, she regained the ability to barely speak. She opened her eyes, looked at me and said three things:

  1. Put your jacket on or you are going to catch a cold.
  2. I am always scolding you.
  3. I love you very much.

 

Yes, even at my age, she still saw me as a child. Mothers will always see their sons and daughters as children even though they are adults. 

 

I mean, good mothers. Bad mothers abandon their children and sometimes even kill them, like Andrea Pia Yates did with her five children, drowning them in the bathtub.

For a woman to do that there has to be a real bad case of psychological trauma.

 

I am a professional speaker but the one speech I wasn’t prepared to give was the one at church on my mother’s funeral right before going to the cemetery.

 

I decided that the best way to address the hundred and fifty or so people in the audience was to highlight her good qualities and anecdotes about her life.

 

She was a very positive person all throughout her life. She would always look at the positive side of things, not matter how bleak the situation. I have had moments in my life, like everyone else, where I simply felt pessimistic and yes, my mother would always have a good word, a good gesture, a hug, smile or words that would cheer me on and rescue me from those feelings.

 

Jim Morrison once wrote about how people feel when they are in pain. He said he believed that people are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. Love is great, but even love will bring lots of pain sometimes. We have to face it, love hurts. I felt so much love for my mother that now that she is gone, it hurts. Sometimes, I think about my daughter or grandchildren and I love them so much that it hurts. As Jim said, “feelings sometimes are to say the least, disturbing”. So true!

 

Come to think of it, school teaches that pain is evil and dangerous. If that is the case, how can you deal with love if you are afraid to feel? If we look at pain from a different angle, we can see it as a wakeup call, it is mean to wake us up. You shouldn’t hide your pain ever, well, at least most of the time. Pain is like an I pad, you carry it around because you have to, because you need it, because of the strength it gives you.

 

Yes, you feel your strength in the experience of pain. It is all in how you carry it, how you face it. That is what is important, what matters. Pain is a feeling and your feelings are part of you, your own reality. If you feel ashamed of your own reality or try to hide it, you are letting your own mind destroy your being. You shouldn’t allow that to happen. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and you should have it very clear in your mind that all pain, and I mean all pain, is temporary.

The natural state of mankind is happiness, fulfillment, and love. Pain is what reminds you of how fortunate you are.

 

I was thinking about what you learn at school and I realized that there are many important things that they don’t teach you at school. I saw a very interesting list written by a fellow named Neil Geiman.

 

 He made me think a lot about my school days, in my case, the Sacred Heart Academy in Ponce de Leon Avenue in Santurce.

 

It was a school run by nuns and I can’t complain since they taught me enough to go on to the University of Puerto Rico and then continue on to graduate school.

 

But, there were some things the nuns didn’t teach me and they are mentioned by Neil.

 

They didn’t teach me how to love somebody although they did give me an example of love.

 

They didn’t teach me how to be famous, not allowing it to get to your head.

 

They didn’t teach me how to be rich or to be poor. Schools should invent an exercise where you are poor and feel like poor and where you are rich and feel like rich.

 

I have a friend, Phillip Zimbardo who conducted an experiment in college to teach kids that everyone, when presented with the right circumstances could be very cruel, no matter how decent you are. He wrote “The Lucifer Effect” a book I highly recommend. Students learned a lot from his experiment, even a movie was created about it, but he had to stop it because the students who were playing the part of jailers, forgot that it was an experiment and even tortured students who were playing the part of inmates.

 

They don’t teach you how to get out of a relationship when you are no longer in love or how to behave when he or she dumps you because you are no longer loved.

 

They don’t teach you how to know what is going on in someone else’s mind or how to understand their actions that sometimes seem irrational. Yes, not much empathy is taught in schools, don’t you think?

They don’t teach you what to say to someone who is dying like a patient I had when I practiced clinical psychology who called me because she was dying and she didn’t believe in God. That was a tough one alright.

 

They don’t teach you how to handle the loss of your mother or father. I wonder if that can be taught, maybe not.

 

And yet, we all have to learn everything the hard way, by experience, by going through the process, through the situation with the hope that you come out of it with more knowledge, sensitivity and a better sense of what it means to be human. That is life.

 

I end with a poem about death, I don’t know who wrote it but it is very beautiful and it surely applies to my mother:

 

“I know that death will win this battle and take me away,

Please, I don’t want anyone to weep, because my memories shall stay.

Let it not be said that I gave up without a fight,

Let it not be to all my family and friends, a good bye.

Sorrow and happiness have followed me throughout my life,

But to humankind only smiles have I tried to show,

Let not my death make you sad in an already unhappy world,

Because I lived life through my family’s glorious love,

If in many ways I have touched hearts,

Then I hope that a better world I will leave behind.

For all my friends I have had the honor to have met,

Then my life has not been lived in vain,

So, because of me please do not cry or weep,

Because I have been ready for my death since the day I was born”

 

May my mother rest in peace.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment